During the workshop, we will discuss several topics including but not limited to:
- Massage basics appropriate for infants focused on specific areas of the body
- Exercises to help baby's coordination and muscle development
- Relaxation exercises for parents
- Common infant/child medical conditions and how to help them (colic, colds, etc)
What do I need to bring?
Most of what you need for class will be provided, however you may feel comfortable a few things of your own close by if you wish. Some items that we may use that you may choose to have close are:
- A pillow or "Boppy" for the baby and a pillow or cushion for yourself to sit on
- A receiving blanket or other warm blanket in case baby gets cold
- Additional diapers just in case
- A notepad or other device for taking notes during class
- A baby (preferably yours, lol). If not, a simulation may be available
- For expectant parents / grandparents / others, we will try to have a substitute "baby" available, but if you wish you can use your own doll or a similarly shaped stuffed animal (4 limbs, torso, head).
Why should babies have Massage?
Massage has benefits for everyone, and especially for infants. Touch is one of the first sensations babies are aware of, so it is valuable for helping babies physically, mentally, and emotionally. There are numerous medical studies and scientific research proving that massage has a great impact on all babies and children.
Massage is more than just a way to relax. It can greatly influence the way babies' brains and bodies develop. Studies show that there are relationships between touch and intelligence, so the more skin-to-skin touch a baby receives in its first year of life can impact the way their brain works and develops for the rest of their life.
Other benefits include:
- Strengthens digestive system
- Improves immune system
- Develops and improves muscle tone
- Helps develop coordination
Mental Benefits for the Baby:
- Increases sense of being loved
- Develops trust
- Increases self esteem
- Enhances relaxation and releases stress
- Creates awareness of self and surroundings
Medical Benefits for Baby:
- Improves respiration
- Helps relieve colic
- Improves sleep patterns
- Reduces discomfort from gas, constipation, congestion, teething, and more.
Benefits to Parents:
- Promotes bonding
- Increases communication and understanding between parent and baby
- Improves relaxation and reduces parent's stress
- Increases parent's confidence by helping them help their babies
Is this class beneficial for toddlers and children older than babies?
Absolutely. Older babies and young children can benefit from massage to help with development of muscle tone and coordination, as well as calming hyperactivity and improving focus. Children who were massaged as babies usually accept massage and understand its benefits as they get older, and they are more easily able to distinguish between "good" and "bad" touch, as well as having the confidence to reject any kind of touch if they don't want it. Children suffering with learning disabilities, illness, or trauma can gain normalization of brain chemical levels, a decrease in depression, improved motor skills, and decreased anxiety.
The techniques taught in the class are very good for children of all ages, and children of all ages are welcome to receive massage.
Need to schedule an appointment? Book Now!